Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Portulaca grandiflora

Yeah I want to hear you say that three times fast. I won't be saying it so fast but rather slow and more like fifty times. There are three identification classes I have to take for my major, flower ID, evergreen ID and deciduous trees ID. I have officially started my first Horticulture Identification class and therefore have crossed over to hell. So for those of you who don't know Portulaca grandiflora is a flower, I mean who wouldn't know that. Over the next six weeks I will be memorizing this bad boy along with his 200 most popular friends. I will be learning their scientic name as well as their common name. I will also be learning about seven other characteristics of each flower that will help assist me in identifying what kind of flower he-she is, and no, saying it is a pretty flower doesn't count.

I figured since this is a monday, wednesday, AND friday class and each class period I will be introduced to 10-15 new flowers and be tested on the flowers from the previous class period, I thought I could teach you in order to help me memorize them. Dont worry you won't get all fifteen, I wouldn't want to drag you down to hell with me.

So to Start we are going to learn about our dear friend Portulaca.

Scientific Name: Portulaca grandiflora
Common Name: Moss Rose
This flower is an Annual flower (only lives for one growing season)
Height: 6-8"
Blooms in the summer
The flowers come in a variety of colors and are aboout 1" wide
The leaf structure: succulant evergreen-like
Culture: full sun, hot and dry
Use: rock gardens and bedding


If you are sitting there thinking "its all Greek to me", I know what your problem is and why you are so confused, its Latin. ☺

3 comments:

Goose said...

hahahaha... it's latin. That was awesome! Love you!

Mayor of CrazyTown said...

I like this. It makes me feel smart. I think I'll teach Scrunch the names too and then she can quiz you on Skype.

featherhead said...

I want you to teach is more than just one.... :)

Labels