Sunday, April 20, 2008

"Dumb Bass of the Year Award"

And the "Dumb Bass of the Year Award" goes to....That’s right none other then me. I had to work really hard to earn this honor. I had to do about a semesters worth of work and then at the very end throw it all a way, why? Because it was the Dumb Bass thing to do. So, now that I have all of you completely confused and slightly worried I probably should explain.

It was a like any Friday afternoon at the end of the semester. I had spent almost the entire day and the day before studying for my Linguistics final. FYI... if you are ever given the opportunity to take Linguistic, DONT DO IT!!!!! Any ways I decided that I was going to check my email and then go take my test. If you aren’t familiar with how test are given now at a BYU campus, they are either given in class or in the testing center, it depends are your teacher. My Linguistics teacher had us take all of our tests in the testing center, and so it would be natural to assume that he would do the same for the final. Of coarse that is a prerequisite to being a dumb bass you have to assume things.

So I am checking my email and I have one from a student from my class that was sent the day before. This nice person had compiled all of the vocabulary in one document and had sent it to everyone to use if they like. At the closing of his email he wished everyone the best of luck studying and that he would see us at 7:oo am Friday morning. At the time I was thinking, why on earth would he have seen us at 7:00 in the morning, did he think we were all going to rush to the testing center as soon as it was open? Of coarse I was reading this email at about 3:30 pm Friday afternoon. To say the least I was confused and was starting to panic. Had he known something I hadn't known. He sure did! After quickly reviewing the available tests at the testing centers webpage and not seeing my test, then going to the syllabus, I learned that my final, mind you this stupid test is worth 20% of my final grade, was given as an in class final from 7-10am. Shit, damn, hell, I believe were my exact words. I called Jessica to see what I could do and she wasn't much help because she was too busy laughing. Even I have to admit it was kind of funny. I mean I had just spent two days studying and the past week and a half writing my research paper for this class and do all of the work up until the very end and then I go a ditch the final. DUMB BASS!!!

I sent an email to my teacher explaining to him my stupidity and begging for mercy and doing a lot of sucking up, my nose may be permanently brown. All I could do was hope for the best. I was surprisingly okay with the whole situation and had quickly come to except the fact my GPA would be in the hole.

I got a response from my teacher late Saturday night and he is going to put the test in the testing center just for me, ironic isn't it that he is going to let me take it in the testing center this time around. I guess the saying is true: Nobody ever gets fired for sucking up to the boss.

There is a lesson to be learned here for everyone: don’t assume things in life, read your syllabus, surprisingly enough they can be good for something beside a paper airplane. They tell you when finals are and where. Even through thing worked out in the end, I still take home the honor of the "Dumb Bass of the Year Award." And I look forward to all of the teasing to come.

2 comments:

mousemovie said...

Tease?!?! Us! I'm wounded to the very core at the thought....

But this is too good to pass up!

Mayor of CrazyTown said...

At least you know it's coming!

Labels